Transition To My Position

My position this summer is as a volunteer at a local primary and secondary school in Valencia, Spain. I have traveled to Spain and am living and studying at the Florida State University Valencia campus for 6 weeks this summer. The school that I am volunteering at, Colegio Sagrado Corazón, is located nearby my apartment building and the FSU Valencia Study Center. I volunteer twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. respectively.

My environment for this experience is challenging but I have received support from both Florida State and Colegio Sagrado Corazón staff. The staff at FSU Valencia helped me to arrange the volunteering opportunity with Colegio Sagrado Corazón and brought me to the school on my first day of volunteering. I primarily worked with one teacher, Lucia Rus, an English language teacher who teaches children ages twelve to seventeen. I have been able to fit this work into my schedule easily because I was able to arrange separate days for volunteering and for classes. My classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so there was ample time to volunteer throughout the program. Additionally, I ensured that I was available in the mornings, which is the time when most classes are held in colleges in Valencia. On my first day, I was nervous about what to expect from the experience since I had not been given clear information about what I would be doing with my time volunteering. Additionally, I was unsure about communication issues since my Spanish speaking abilities are not completely fluent and I did not know the level of English speaking that the Colegio Sagrado Corazón staff and children would have. However, my worries were cleared up on my first day by the kindness and patience of the staff and children at Colegio Sagrado Corazón.