Hi, my name is Merrill!

I am from Naples, Florida, and am currently a freshman at Florida State University studying public health and public administration. I have always been interested in international health and knew, upon my acceptance to the Global Scholars Program, that I would want to incorporate this passion into my summer experience and Capstone.

Keeping in mind my interest in studying and improving health systems on a global scale, I applied and was accepted for an internship position at Uganda Development and Health Associates, a grassroots NGO involved in various health-related fields such as malaria control, sanitation, adolescent sexual reproductive health, school health, and immunization. Through this internship, I will participate in grant writing, develop their Omprakash internship engagement, and learn about international health systems.

Considering my interest in global health equity, I expect to further my understanding of public health in Uganda throughout the duration of this experience. Furthermore, since I hope to pursue a career in international non-profit administration, I can learn the complexities of such position and view the relationship between administration and their impact on the organization as a whole.

In preparation for this internship, my team and I have held comprehensive information sessions and meetings to establish roles, schedules, and positions, so, going into this experience, I feel prepared and excited!