Hey, I am Karolina :)

Hello Blog,

For my first blog post I will introduce myself and my summer experience.

I am Karolina Calderin Vargas. I am a double major in Public Health and Human Development and Family Science with a minor in Anthropology. Born in Cuba I moved to the United States at the age of five. Since then I have lived most of my childhood and young adult life in Tampa, Florida.

This is summer I will be attending a Global Exchange through Florida State University. I will be going to Japan! In Japan I will be taking anthropology classes and completing fieldwork and field notes. Through my time in Japan I want to explore how Japan constructs their version of health through consumerism and come back to the United States and compare our consumerism and its construction of our health perspective.

I expect this experience to be the best thing I have ever done. I can’t wait to meet new people and travel Japan. I am currently preparing for my trip by learning basic Japanese through Duolingo. I hope by the time I get there I will be able to hold a conversation!

Published by Karolina Calderin Vargas

Hi! I am part of Global Scholars at Florida State University and this is my summer 2024 blog.