What I’ve learned from living with roommates

During my gap year, I’ve lived in dorm-style rooms ranging from 3 to 12 people per room. I was fortunate enough to have grown up having my own bedroom, so sharing this space for an extended period of time was new. Having roommates has given me the opportunity to experience living in a communal space, balance time alone and socializing, and learn more about myself. For the first 4 months in Jerusalem, I shared a room and bathroom with 4 girls. From mid December to mid January, I lived in a room with 12 girls with a communal bathroom, and I currently live in a suite of 6. 

When our rooming list was released for this semester, I was surprised to see that I was placed in a room with two people I wasn’t necessarily close with. I’ve already lived with them for over a month now, and I couldn’t be more grateful for how everything worked out. Learning to communicate and manage living in a small space with my roommates allowed us to get close very quickly. Now, they are some of my best friends, and I’m so glad I ventured out of my comfort zone to room with new people. 

One of the most important lessons I’ve learned during my gap year is to keep an open mind. My friends and I constantly remind ourselves to stay optimistic, and this is just one example of how everything can be an opportunity to learn and grow. I’ve gained so much from my rooming experiences this year, and I look forward to living in dorms on campus this fall!